Revolution

Record Level of Marijuana Arrests in 1994

State and local authorities in the United States made an estimated 481,098 marijuana arrests in 1994, the highest in U.S. history, according to the FBI ("Crime in the United States: 1994", FBI Uniform Crime Reports; Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1995; Pp. 216-217).

84% of the 1994 arrests were for possession, and the remaining 16% includes cultivation for personal use and possession of large amounts for personal use, in addition to arrests for sale and manufacture.


Source: November 23, 1995, release from the Marijuana Policy Project.